How often do we pause to reflect on this final event of Jesus’ life on earth? In our eagerness to arrive at Pentecost, following resurrection, it’s easy to overlook his ascension or just give it a passing acknowledgement as we move on to the great feast that follows.
Let’s hit the pause button!
Without ascension, there would be no Pentecost! John notes in his gospel (Jn739) the Spirit was not yet because Jesus was not yet glorified. So let’s pause awhile and allow the significance of this great event to speak to us.
Here are five reasons the ascension of Jesus is so important:
- Ascension affirms to us that Jesus came from God
- Ascension sets our sights on heaven
- Ascension paves the way for the Age of the Spirit
- Ascension paves the way for God’s ecclesia to rule on earth
- Ascension paves the way for Jesus to return in glory
If you’d like to listen to a short (25 min) podcast that expands on these points, you can find it here.
Rich blessings, as you reflect on this amazing, last act of Jesus on earth.